Re: 912 carb icing?

Subject: Re: 912 carb icing?
From: Nigel Charles <72016.3721@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 07:45:11
Message text written by "michael.dolphin"
>FWIW I made my own free air scoop plenum for my 912, and worried by the
possibility of carb icing, fitted a thermocouple to the carb throat.  The
subsequent test flying in as much grotty weather & icing conditions as I
could handle gave not one indication of icing (all done safely o/head known
airfield).  Carby throat temps rarely drop below 10 centigrade and I've
been
operating for over 3 years with this Mod.<

I agree there seems little to worry about however in cooler weather I often
get carb temps below zero. I expect it makes a difference where the sender
is placed. Mine senses temp right adjacent to the throttle butterfly which
seems a likely place for ice to develop. The carb heat kit from Skydrive
enables protection from carb icing without power loss and requires no pilot
input. The only disadvantages with it is that it adds a little more weight
and needs extra pipes and connections. I am considering whether to install
this kit during the next winter. Retrospectively fitting it to a Classic is
a bit more tricky for two reasons. Firstly access to the water pump outlet
pipe is difficult as the engine sits closer to the firewall than the XS.
Secondly because of this there is insufficient room to move the plenum
chamber aft to accommodate the heaters the plenum outlets need trimming.
Has anyone with a Classic managed to accomplish this mod without having to
remove the engine to access the water pump pipe near the pump outlet?

Nigel Charles