Re: dimple tape

Subject: Re: dimple tape
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 20:06:52
JW wrote:

> Fred.
>
>     Speaking of Cherokee's...  A couple years ago there was a good article
> (Sport Aviation again?) about a fellow who had done considerable
> experimentation with vortex generators and other such devices on his
> Cherokee.  He clearly has the fastest 150 around.  Again, I don't have the
> article in front of me, but it seems to me he was getting around 30 mph
> more than I used to get in my old PA28-150.  He was getting some truly
> amazing numbers for that old Hershey Bar wing bird.  I really loved my old
> Cherokee, but I likened it to driving an old Ford Fairlane around.  No
> style, or speed, but comfortable and solid as a rock.

Jeff, I retrieved the article from CD, and the VG's are for low-speed
behavior only, as I suspected.  The speed gain was from at least
$15,000 in other mods, including 10 more HP.  Same I fear for the
Europa.  I'm on the side of not expecting much more from the wing, but
the sum of a little here and there, everywhere else.  Gap seals,
cooling drag, fairings, blah, blah.

My '63 Fairlane was a bit hot and a looker.  The PA-28 I remember
flying was more of a Checker cab!

Best,
Fred F.
N3EU