Re: dimple tape

Subject: Re: dimple tape
From: McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 09:57:04
Thanks for the insult!
If you read the Sport Aviation article carefully (i.e. between the lines) I
think
the conclusion is apparent.
Dimples work well on golf balls. On a well proportioned airfoil at zero angle of
attack the effect is also zero or negative.
By comparison, VGs on wings can improve certain aerodynamic characteristics; but
I never heard that terminal speed was one of them.
I'm sure that dimples have their place, but in situations of making the best of
an already bad aerodynamic job

Duncan McF.

On Saturday, August 17, 2002 10:09 PM, JW [SMTP:xs191@attbi.com] wrote:
> Duncan.
>
>     I too am interested in this product having opened a similar thread on air
flow and surface tension a few months ago.  Could you
> please expand on your otherwise useless comments?  Do you have personal
> experience
or know of some related testing with the product?
> The DimpleTape web site has a very interesting Sport Aviation article about
> tests
on Stearman's, RV's, and other aircraft.