Re: Door Audio Warning - - Was LEDs

Subject: Re: Door Audio Warning - - Was LEDs
From: Alan D Stewart <alan.stewart@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 08:49:41

Been reading lots recently about ground proximity detectors, landing
gear down indicators and electronic door 'shoot bolt' warning equipment
etc etc.

I too am facinated by electronics but personally don't think these
things are generally justified in an aircraft like the Europa.

John Tye's original aircraft had none these, and a very straightforward
panel. Consequently there was very little to go wrong. It was lighter,
cheaper and very probably slightly faster.

Some of my standard checks when flying are:
Visually check gear is fully down and located, visually check door shoot
bolts located front and back, visually check location and distance to
ground !

In the UK we aren't supposed to fly at night or in IFR conditions in
this aircraft. Perhaps in other countries the rules are slightly
different ?

A very strong case could be made for keeping equipment on board as
simple as possible.

I apologise if this sounds provocative and certainly don't want to start
a long thread on this or a 'flame'.

... just expressing an alternate point of view which I suspect is shared
by many !

Alan