Re: PSS AOA sensor position standardization

Subject: Re: PSS AOA sensor position standardization
From: John & Paddy Wigney <johnwigney@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 21:57:09
Hi Shaun,

I have a PSS AOA unit and have nearly finished my preliminary 40 hours test
program.
So far, I have
had the breaker pulled on the unit but hope to do the calibration in the next
week
or so.

Per Jim Frantz's recommendation at PSS, I located the pick up holes about 12"
from
the tip and at
25% chord. This puts them in front of the spar. The pickups were offset spanwise
by about 2 " so that
the fittings did not interfere. I cut and fabricated a reinforced access hatch
on the lower surface
(somewhat like the aileron bellcrank hatches) adjacent to the pickups to
facilitate
installation. I
also remember cutting another small access hole on the top surface and this was
resealed later. I
found this access was necessary so that the bottom ports could be fitted.

I will let you know how things work out and will be happy to supply any data if
you wish to gather
same.

Cheers, John

N262WF, mono XS, A099
Mooresville, North Carolina

Shaun Simpkins wrote:

> All:
>
> I'm getting close to installing a Proprietary Software Systems AOA sensor in
my wing.
> After talking with those folks, there's apparently a lot of Europa builders
> doing
the same
> thing, but going about it in very different ways.  There are a two main issues
here:
>     1. Where is the optimal position for the sensor
>     2. How does one provide access to it?
>
> PSS's comment is that they have been able to provide precalibrated AOA systems
and
> optimal installation directions for RVs with the help and cooperation of the
builder community
> and the factory.  There appears to be enough users in the Europa community
> that
> coordinated development of at least optimal installation instructions is
> feasible.
However, this
> would really need the interest and involvement of the factory.
>
> The second issue is seeing several approaches.  The basic problem is that the
sensor bridges
> the upper and lower skins forward of the spar, and therefore requires an
> additional
access
> plate for maintenance.  What is the structurally safest, or aerodynamically
> best,
way of doing