Re: Cabin heater question

Subject: Re: Cabin heater question
From: DJA727@aol.com
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 16:47:36
Well, I don't intend to shut off the engine very often. This is a way for me to
return to the air legally, although the glider aspect of it is getting more
interesting.
I live in glider mecca - Minden, NV..
Dave

Eh, where is the heat going to come from in a glider (i.e. with the engine
turned off)?!

Graham Clarke, I think it was, had a novel if unintentional idea. He put in
a cool fresh air system using corrugated aluminum ducting routed through
the engine compartment. Only the ducting (with its high surface area,high
thermal conductivity, thin wall construction) made an excellent heat
exchanger so that the cool air was hot by the time it got to the cockpit.
Not very safe in a fire unless there are dampers or cut off valves in the
line.