Re: Cabin heater question

Subject: Re: Cabin heater question
From: McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 21:00:08
Eh, where is the heat going to come from in a glider (i.e. with the engine
turned off)?!

Graham Clarke, I think it was, had a novel if unintentional idea. He put in
a cool fresh air system using corrugated aluminum ducting routed through
the engine compartment. Only the ducting (with its high surface area,high
thermal conductivity, thin wall construction) made an excellent heat
exchanger so that the cool air was hot by the time it got to the cockpit.
Not very safe in a fire unless there are dampers or cut off valves in the
line.

Duncan McFadyean

On Thursday, February 21, 2002 6:50 PM, DJA727@aol.com
[SMTP:DJA727@aol.com] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am in the process of planning the cabin heat for my motor glider
project. I have looked into a radiator type heater sold for another kit
built airplane and have decided it seems rather bulky and hard to fit into
the airplane - providing heat to both sides and to the windscreen. I am now
leaning toward an exhaust muff type heater that would have a blower fan for
operation of defrost on the ground.

> What have people done and been successful with? How effective have been
the heaters installed? Does Europa have a heater option to purchase? I plan
to have electronic monitoring of the CO in the cabin as well. One
disadvantage of the radiator heater is that it introduces another failure
mode of the liquid cooling system, which is critical for the engine
operation. Of course with a glider, who needs an engine anyway!!!