Re: Position lights - wires after the fact

Subject: Re: Position lights - wires after the fact
From: Roger Anderson <Randerson@skewstacks.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 11:52:31
A word of caution. I fitted a dipole aerial in the fin and tuned it with a
VSWR meter to give the strongest signal in the mid-range. I subsequently
fitted a strobe at the top of the fin. Recently I have found that ground
stations with mid-range frequencies have had difficulty in receiving my
transmissions. I checked the aerial again only to find that the mid-range
was by far the worst sector. Ferg has been advising me and says that this
could be some sort of harmonic effect, and that a dipole is very sensitive
to any metal alongside the aerial. Rather than re-site the strobe I am
currently fitting a quarter wave aerial inside the fuselage, mounted on the
upper surface and facing downwards. I have fitted a 6mm radius copper disc
at the base of the aerial to act as a ground plane, but if this is not
satisfactory I intend attaching two or three strands of co-ax sheath about
22" long to the inside of the fuselage. Work in progress!
Roger A. (G-BXTD)