Re: Position lights - wires after the fact

Subject: Re: Position lights - wires after the fact
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 20:13:58
Jim Weir (RST Engineering) has written several articles on this.  The
basic rule is to keep any piece of metal (e.g. wire) 1/2 wavelength or
more in dimension, at least 1/4 wavelength (c. 22" here) from the
tips(s) of the antenna.  The coax to a dipole should run 90-degrees to
it for at least 1/4 wavelength before any turn.  At least radiating
pattern is affected, probably VSWR too.

The situation with you strobe wire could be worsened by reradiation.
You have just about 1/4 wavelength of wire, near and parallel to the
dipole, before making a bend to run fwd along the fuselage.  This
causes an out-of-phase component to be added to transmitted RF, doing
wonders to
audio modulation.  I've observed where you can hold (i.e., connected
to nothing) a whip-type comm antenna one foot and parallel to an
antenna under test, and watched the VSWR drop to zero.  IN this case,
-0- VSWR not good, as bad things are happening.

Regards,
Fred F.