Re: Bundling of coax cables

Subject: Re: Bundling of coax cables
From: Rob Housman <RobH@hyperionef.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 08:24:47
Your assertion that to be effective a shield must be a magnetic material got
me to thinking about Gaussian surfaces, a concept learned a rather long time
ago during four long (mostly boring) semesters of physics as an
undergraduate in engineering.  While I may have nodded off during the
important moments I do recall that a Gaussian surface merely had to be
conductive to provide shielding.  Ergo, aluminum is an effective shielding
material according to theory, and in fact shielded cables frequently use
aluminum foil for just that purpose.  By definition a Gaussian surface is a
closed surface, but things like wires tend to be long and thin making for a
good approximation.

Should I have failed to grasp the theory perhaps someone who enjoyed (rather
than endured) physics will enlighten me (and other readers as well).

Best regards,

Rob Housman
A070