RE: Question of the year

Subject: RE: Question of the year
From: Emmet E. Welch <ewelch@socal.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 13:12:18
While aerobatics in the Europa should be a very cautious undertaking, I
have done hundreds of hammerheads in Robins which have an all-flying
tail (stabs).  That is not to say that the "snapping off" of the Europa
stab wouldn't happen.  Point is, most aerobatic maneuvers, especially
basic, can be very safe as long as the pilot is proficient.  Actually,
that kind of describes safe flying in general in a nutshell.

I wouldn't try a snap roll in a Europa.  While most snap rolls never
exceed 3 g's, they put a lot of stress on the control system and stabs.
I would be most worried about the rudder pedal system on the Europa.
It's not exactly "beefy" and a snap roll, in most aircraft, requires
fast, hard and full rudder pedal depression.

Just my 2 cents (pence)

Cheers,

Emmet Welch
N141EW MonoXS