Re: Question of the year

Subject: Re: Question of the year
From: Augustene Brown <augustene@cfl.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 21:39:33
Fred.

The FAA does not grant approval nor deny approval for aerobatics in the
airplane that you have built. When you complete the airplane and its ready for
your first flight, the builder has to either have a DAR, or an FAA
representative inspect your aircraft.  He will also want to look at the
builders construction log and also the construction manual to see if you have
followed the kit manufactures basic construction. Once he has satisfied to
himself that the airplane is airworthy he will then issue an AIRWORTHNESS
CERTIFICATE and also The OPERATING LIMITATIONS FOR THAT ONE AIRPLANE. He will
then have you make a statement in the log book that you have  inspected the
aircraft and it is safe for flight. At this point you are thru with the FAA.

When you complete your 40 hr.. test period. you then have to make another
entry in the log book attesting to the fact you have flown off the
restriction's and the aircraft is safe for flight. You do not have to make any
further contact with the FAA.

If you want to do aerobatics in your airplane  and stay legal,  then during
the 40 hr.. test period you must do each maneuver that you will later fly
after the test period,  once again  you must make logbook entry's attesting
that the maneuvers were performed, and that the airplane is safe to fly these
maneuvers.  You, the builder is the one who will certify that the airplane is
aerobatic.

This is the way the FAA safety inspector  in Orlando handled my case.

Regards

Jim Brown