Re: The Europa Rescue Service

Subject: Re: The Europa Rescue Service
From: europabuilder@ntlworld.com
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 16:08:03
I haven't said much on this yet, because I'm not in a possition to help out
much at the moment (I'm without a flying plane, no trailer, baby about to
fill the final bedroom and workshop fully needed for my own kit), but would
like to get involved when I can help.

> I'm hoping to take this a little further than just hospitality, although I
> am sure hospitality would be very much appreciated by one and all if at
the
> end of the day the problem could not be fixed.
> The contact point is something that we have to give a lot of thought to,
> some of the options are :- (a) issue a list of volunteer's to all members
> and leave if up to them to find a helper when needed - problem with this,
> will they have the list with them when the dreaded happens!

That shouldn't bee too much of a problem as they could keep a copy of the
list in their plane.

> (b) A central
> coordinator, but will he/she be available 24hrs a day 365 day of the year?

Reasonable idea, but maybe two coordinators who can share the job.  That
should eliminate problems of holidays, but will still cause problems if they
both want to go on a club fly out.

> (c) Several coordinators based in each country.

This could start getting a bit like (a) above.  Maybe I could help out in
this way as I will be in my workshop most of the time.

> (d) Central contact phone
> number with divert as you suggest - not sure how many numbers you can
divert
> to on this one, but no doubt I can find out.

Will this cost the club money though?  Best avoided if it's going to cost.

> Any more ideas anyone?

A couple...

1) If a central coordinator is designated, they could have an answering
machine giving a list of alternative numbers to call if they aren't
available.
2) The list of people offering to help could be a web based list allowing
people to add themselves, remove themselves, change their own contact
details and even post a message saying they'll be away.  This would would
mean the list is always up to date and people can print out as many copies
as they like.  I could offer my services setting such a list up.
3) Parts - I'm sure many people keep spare parts on their shelves, maybe the
club doesn't need to keep their own stock of everything that's going to be
needed, maybe there could be a list of who keeps what and they could make
those parts available in an emergancy - this is somewhere where non-flying
club members can help, I'm sure there are a lot of people with a kit sat in
the workshop and a lot of parts they don't need to fit for months..

If I get any more ideas, I'll post them on.

Cheers,
Mark.

Mark Jackson - 07050 645590
europa-builder@ntlworld.com