Re: surface filling

Subject: Re: surface filling
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 00:11:08
Richard Iddon wrote:
> I've just attempted to surface fill my first flying surface with factory
> supplied Expancell and have a couple of questions.

No one's mentioned it yet, and I don't get commissions from PolyFiber,
but their SuperFil product is great stuff.  With Expancell, a
laminating resin sometimes cures way too slow, clogging sandpaper.
SuperFil is 6-8 hours to sand, cuts quicker, and will be lighter.  Mix
ratio is less hassle, and I learned to eye it by volume and color
tint.  Even a bad mix ratio seems to make no difference.  It adheres
tenaciously to even shiny metal, suggesting it may adhere better to
shiny fiberglass, like between the fiber bundles that can't be
roughened.  Expancell can be dissolved by solvent paints if too dry.
The resin ratio also determines its reaction to grit (sanding
scratches) whereas SuperFil seems to care less, and touches up quicker
with finer grit, since it cuts faster.  With Expancell unless real
dry, the resin sinks to the bottom of the cup w/o constant stirring;
SuperFil best mixes on a plastic pallet, faster mix and easier then to
apply.  Hey, wait...I should get commissions!

Regards,
Fred F.