Re: surface filling

Subject: Re: surface filling
From: bizzarro@easynet.co.uk
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 23:55:50
Hi Richard,

Basically if it goes on easily it is too thin. The consistancy should
look like thick whipped cream but will feel a lot thicker. Make sure
the surfaces are completely clean before attempting to fill as any
grease will cause poor adhesion and dust will cause the filler to dry
out if you have to rework it on the surface.

Ideally, you only want to fill the weave, and you can do just that.
The problem is that if your cores are warped, with ridges and high
spots, it will look unsightly. The filling is a compromise. Get the
best thinest fill you can and still be able to look at the work and be
happy with it. I think that you can put on as much as 1/8 inch at a
time, but that shouldn't be necessary. I am sure someone else will
pipe up if I am wrong.

Don't sand through the weave!!

Happy Filling (if that could be possible)

Eddie

Quoting Richard Iddon <riddon@btinternet.com>:

> Hello the Oracle,
>
> I've just attempted to surface fill my first flying surface with
> factory
> supplied Expancell and have a couple of questions.
>
> 1). How do I judge the consistency of the mix,  is it too wet if
there
> is
> 'moisture' visible on the surface?
>
> 2). How thick should I layer the filler on?  If my layup is fairly
> smooth &
> flat, do I need just enough to fill the weave or thick enough so I
can't
> see
> through the fill and then sand back?
>
> 3). Any tips for getting a smooth, even finish?
>
> Any other tips would be appreciated.
>
> Richard Iddon (still waiting for my wings)533
>

> The Europa List is supported by Aviators Network UK -
info@avnet.co.uk

/////Eddie Hatcher Bill Lams Nick Crisp///////
///SouthEastLondonFlyingGroup/////////////////
www.crispsite.flyer.co.uk/newropa.htm