RE: tailplane torque tube reinforcing

Subject: RE: tailplane torque tube reinforcing
From: Bob Harrison <ptag.dev@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 07:45:17
Hi! Shaun.
Sorry but it IS confusing if I (and probably Graham!)  keep messing up on
the numbers !.
The TP6 bushes tend to take rotational load from the PIP pins and become
loose in the tailplane IF the tailplane rotational driving forces are not
completely taken by the offending drive pins, which elongate the holes in
the TP12 plates. Therefore it is recommended that the holes in the TP4 at
the PIP pins are slightly slotted (rotationally) since they are only there
to retain the tailplanes from sliding OFF the TP4 torque tube. This saves
the TP6's becoming loose, but also ensures that all the rotational driving
load is transmitted by the pins through the drive plates TP12's  BUT they
elongate the TP12 holes being a softer material than the torque tube TP4.
 Since the trailing edge is so far behind the centreline a minute amount of
wear at this place allows the trailing edge to move about 35 times as much!
I believe the limit between the two tail planes is 3/8ths" before you need
to take some corrective action. However it seems that in spite of
considerable care drilling /reeming the holes and in one of mine needing to
drive the pin into place with a hammer it still wears/tears the TP12 holes.
Our proposed clamp arrangement fixes the TP12's to the tube, TP4, and the
central drive TP9 (one each side) so the whole lot is locked up without any
change to the original design, leaving it all still dismantleable and
coincidentally stiffens the torque tube T4 in bending stresses.
Hopefully this enables you to come to grips with it all?
 I strongly recommend some action to be taken before the top of the fuselage
is put on because it is a "BASTARD" job retrospectively especially if the
access hole is less than 5 inches diameter. It's bad enough at 5" diameter
with only one hand and pearing through the small inspection hole above.
Watch this space!
Regards
Bob Harrison. G-PTAG