Engine - spinner vibration

Subject: Engine - spinner vibration
From: Nigel Charles <72016.3721@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 06:55:25
Message text written by "martinstevens"
>G-BXCH is a 'bog' standard 912 monowheel with 400 hrs under her belt with
no serious problems. Over the last couple of flying hours I have noticed a
'slight' vibration in most power settings. I suspect the cause to be the
spinner.

During the first few hours after first flight I had a similar problem. It
seemed to be solved by balancing the spinner by floating it in a barrel of
water, 75% submerged by adding water inside the spinner and then adding
weights so that it floated evenly. (Crude but it seemed to work) Being an
early kit (186) I believe several people experienced the same problem.

I also fitted the GS back plate. I should like to hear from anyone who has
experienced this problem and how they managed to solve it. Are there any
other spinners available from the factory that are stronger and more "true"
than the mk1.

Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated <

With the Classic large spinner I thoroughly recommend  Graham Singleton's
carbonfibre backplate. In your case I suspect that it is the frontplate
that is the problem.  As I also have an NSI VP prop I was able to use John
Scott's frontplate which stabilises the front of the spinner as it is well
forward of the normal frontplate. This is a snug fit over the pitch motor
and is permanently glued (with Redux) to the spinner. With a fixed pitch
prop there may be a way of using this if a cylinder of the same diameter as
the prop motor is attached to the front of the prop. Be very sure though it
is securely fastened and is centrally mounted.

Nigel Charles