Re: Pins in Stabilator

Subject: Re: Pins in Stabilator
From: Paul Stewart <pauld.stewart@virgin.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 16:12:02
Dave

I'm not sure I agree with Steve about the pins needing to be that snug.
Certainly
they must be a snug fit in the stabilator bush, but not in the torque tube
as there should be NO rotational forces being taken through this pip pin, all
that should be happening at the drive plate in the root. Indeed it is that
situation
which has been responsible for loosening of the bush in some tail planes.
The fix has been to oval  the hole in the torque tube so that it cannot take
rotational forces.

Your problem sounds like the tail plane bush hole and torque tube hole are not
aligned and may have happened due to the tail plane 'creeping' off the torque
tube during the drilling process (been there). If the holes are misaligned in
an inboard/ outboard sense you will need to go for oversized pip pins. We ended
up installing 5/8" pins (Aircraft spruce ) and using a 5/8" tapered reamer
rather
than a drill to get the holes correct.

Regards Paul Stewart #432