Re: UV Smooth Prime

Subject: Re: UV Smooth Prime
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 00:08:12
> Hi Folks,
> I've run into a situation I thought was no big deal, now I'm not sure.
> Normally, I have been told, before you paint a primed surface you usually
> wipe the surface down with something to remove any possible contaminants
> introduced while handling or storing the aircraft parts. I was also aware
> that you're not supposed to use a solvent based cleaner with water-borne
> products like Polyfiber's UV Smooth Prime. The Prep Wipe they market is
> supposed to be used on the Superfil before the application of UV Smooth
> Prime. The Prep Wipe would also just wet the surface and soak into the
> primer. So how do I clean my primed wings after they have been hauled down
> the road to the paint shop? I called Poly-fiber and the guy said just don't
> get them dirty after you've primed, yea right!
> Troy

You added crosslinker to the stuff, and should thus find that the
primer is impervious to anything but paint stripper.  Any cleaner that
appears to soak into it will evaporate out.  I think the safest is
rubbing
alcohol, and it has caused me no trouble with either water- or
solvent-based
topcoats.  More problematic is dust, which causes fisheyes.  If you're
not
going to clean them again upon arrival at the shop, I presume you'll
be covering
with plastic?

Regards,
Fred F., A063