Re: UV Smooth Prime

Subject: Re: UV Smooth Prime
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 18:53:04
If that's Expancel supplied by Europa, I suppose it will, but we're
just wiping it, and it isn't going to go through the primer.
Ironically, another mfr of water-based epoxy primer says isopropyl
alcohol can be used a thinner.  However, I have found alcohol is
ineffective as a gun cleaner," and that's when the stuff isn't dry,
much less cured.  If not really diligent in  "solvent" cleaning the
gun, eventually it builds up in there.  Neither PolyFiber's Gun
Cleaner, alcohol, whiskey, or anything will attack it, soaking for
days.  Methylene-chloride stripper attacks it only slowly, and I've
ended up using dental tools.

It's Isopropyl Alcohol here, they don't list oil of wintergreen --
would it smell like Marvel Mystery Oil? :) -- as an ingredient.
Anyway, I just checked it (91% variety) on a primed, sanded surface,
and it passes the water film test.  I really don't see why one
couldn't use any detergent cleaner, but would need a water rinse to
not leave a residue.

Regards,
Fred F., A063