Re: Heating the shop

Subject: Re: Heating the shop
From: John Cliff <john@crixbinfield.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 12:11:47
Forwarded message, from Gerry Holland <gnh@ddsc.demon.co.uk>

John Hi! from the West Country

> I've got plans for just this arrangement of electric heaters, plus
> dehumidifier(s), in my garage (which is detached from the house by 30ft,
> with two walls party to other garages). I also plan foam-backed dry lining
> on walls and ceiling, with draught excluders and insulated backing on the
> doors.

Try Alreflex. It's Aluminium Foil with a 'sandwich of 'bubble wrap' between.
Comes in 25 metre lengths and about 1.2 metres wide. Cost per roll about
115.

> Having killed all the draughts, I understand I'll then need to install air
> extraction for use during composite work.

I used an extractor fan at the external end of a  metal flue lining. It
extracted from a position over the 'lay up' table. Worked quite well.

> I figure if I don't get the environment right first time, it'll cost me far
> more in the long run in both rework and energy costs. A nice cosy workshop
> when I'm not doing composites will be nice too.

Dont make it to cosy! I found the family enjoyed the 75 degrees plus
temperature and could be found lurking in workshop to 'warm up' from
Gardening etc.

> Can anyone comment on this plan? Is it all necessary, and have I missed
> something?
>
> I'm not sure if the dehumidifiers are necessary - has anyone tried them in a
> composite workshop in the UK climate and measured the results?

I have a Wickes Dehumidifier at about 100. It's excellent.

Today, which is rather wet and the workshop with no heating is about 57
degrees and 60-65% humid. If I put off the humidifier it would raise quite
fast to 80. The output of moisture from device is significant. I would
invest in one without hesitation.

Hope that helps.

Gerry Holland

Europa No 384 G-FIZY