RE: Heating the shop

Subject: RE: Heating the shop
From: Nigel Charles <72016.3721@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 10:39:47
Message text written by "John Cliff"
>I'm not sure if the dehumidifiers are necessary - has anyone tried them in
composite workshop in the UK climate and measured the results?
<

I haven't but over a period of 6 years I have only had problems with the
70% humidity restriction about 3 days per year. This has been during
summertime when the humidity is already high with high ambient temperature.
At other times of year raising the temperature nearly always lowers the
relative humidity sufficiently to get it below 70%.

Incidently I used a thermostatically controlled oil fired heater with flue
which cost only 350 total (about 6 years ago). Even if your house doesn't
use oil it is possible to connect the heater to a 5 gallon drum of oil
(placed outside the workshop). The running costs of oil are less than half
of standard rate electricity so the initial purchase price is soon
recovered. It has the added advantage of consuming some air within the
workshop creating its own ventilation. Its maximum output is 8kW. If anyone
is interested the company is called Hotbox Heaters (the product is a
Horti-Hotbox). They can be contacted on 01590 683788.

Nigel Charles