Re: Strut/tie-bar fitting nightmare!!!

Subject: Re: Strut/tie-bar fitting nightmare!!!
From: Paul & Liz Atkinson <paulliz@cix.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 10:32:19
Eddie

Can't answer your first questions but suggest you talk
to the factory, they are bound to have a solution.
As for drilling the holes I agree that it is virtually
impossible the get them aligned properly in situ. You
could try the method outlined below. I only thought of
doing this after I had finished :-(( so I have not
actually tried it.
By the sound of it you will need to remove the plywood
---From the cockpit module to do this. Perhaps you didn't
want to read this but I can't think of another way of
doing it, so perhaps answer 3 is the way to go.

Paul

Rather than permanently bonding the plywood pieces to
the cockpit module at the point suggested in the mod
instructions I would delay it and until after the
drilling is done. This will allow you to do most of
the drilling on the bench preferably on a drill stand.

With the cross bar in place clamp the top and bottom
gusset plates to the bar and the plywood, adding
packing pieces between the gusset plates and the
plywood to simulate the bid layups that will go there
later. Make sure that the 2.5 mm gap is preserved
between the plywood and the cross bar and that the
plywood touches the cockpit module.
Make sure also that the plates are aligned vertically
so that the pre drilled holes are in line.
If it is possible for the cross bar to rotate at all
on the w34's, temporarily fix the plywood in place
against the cockpit module with bondo.
When happy everything is in place on both sides and
that nothing can move, drill through the existing
holes in the plates through the bar and into the w34
but not through it.  Then mark and drill the other 3
holes through the plates just into the plywood  but
not through it. It may be necessary to move your
clamps to get access to all the holes. So don't
release one clamp before adding another!

Having done this on both sides,(port and stbd) with
everything clamped firmly together remove the bolts
holding the  w34s, and the bondo if used, so that the
whole shooting match can be removed to the bench. Now
complete the  holes you have started. If using a drill
stand support one end of the bar so that the drill is
correctly aligned at 90 deg to the bar.

Once this is done you can insert bolts into the holes
tighten up the nuts and return the assembly  to the
aircraft. Place a blob of rapid epoxy/flox on each of
the plywood pieces to bond them to the cockpit module
prior to putting the assembly back in place. Once it
has set remove the bar and gusset plates ready for
layups over the plywood.

In article
<1003904105.3bd65c697d1ea@easymessagecentre.easynet.co
.uk>, bizzarro@easynet.co.uk () wrote:

> Hi all

> I found this assy. very difficult to do as Europa
have suppied all
> gusset plates with all the tie-bar locating holes
pre-drilled. I
> would have thought it would have been better to
predrill only one
> hole per plate so as to allow any inaccuracy in the
drilling. You
> see, I couldn't see a way of making sure that the
drill entry and
> exit points were totally parallel, which of course
they were not. As
> a result I had to elongate a hole on each of the
lower plates by
> about 0.5mm. to get the bolts through.
>
> Anyway, even with those four holes drilled, how is
one supposed to
> drill through the other side of the gusset plate
that goes through
> the plywood support on the side that is directly
under the filler

- info@avnet.co.uk