Re: Strut/tie-bar fitting nightmare!!!

Subject: Re: Strut/tie-bar fitting nightmare!!!
From: Tim Ward <ward.t@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 22:23:56
Eddie,
Long time ago since I did this so bear with me.
The purpose of the tie bar is to structurally tie the spacing of the w26
sockets in place. Not to stop rotational forces. Therefore your 5mm hole
will be OK. If unhappy then 5mm bolt. If you can fit the nut in the space
provided.There is also a third bolt of lesser diameter on the bottom to
stop rotational forces. make sure that is OK.

Second question. Have you a drill press? Place the tie bar in position
with the
w34 and socket  w26 in place. Then position the gusset plates and clamp
into
place accurately on top of the tie bar. Mark hole positions on top of tie
bar for the 2 holes to be drilled.(Not the plywood holes) Dismantle and
use a drill press and clamp tie bar into a vee shaped piece of wood or
metal holder and drill down vertically  down. line up vee shape with drill
before hand to give you that vertical guide.Watch from the end of the bar
that you are drilling vertically down. Drill only one hole, place gusset
plates temporary on tie bar with bolt and nut and line up other hole and
clamp. Now drill other hole vertically and as you break through the bottom
line up the bottom gusset plate.
Now reassemble and drill holes through gusset plate and plywood from the
top.
The one near the Fuel inlet I think I alternated the spacing a little to
get a small hand drill in place to drill through.
Hope this is a help.
Cheers,
Tim

--