Plug-In Panel

Subject: Plug-In Panel
From: svein johnsen <sveinjohnsen@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 17:53:03
Hi all,

I have just received a completely outfitted and wired
panel for my Europa from a professional avionics shop.

The panel has three aluminum face plates (over
cut-outs in the fibreglass panel) where all the
avionics, switches, breakers, etc. are fitted.  To my
surprise none of the local wiring inside the panel was
made using plug connectors for easy removal of panel
sections, and none of the connections to the remote
systems were prepared for plug connections.  My
intention (I'll leave the contractual details out
here!) was to have as much connected by plugs as
practically possible, including engine sensor wires to
the digital EIS, but excluding high-current
connections and antennas.  No good explanation was
given for why plugs had not been fitted.

Before I decide whether to leave it as-is or fit plug
connections, I would very much appreciate any
feed-back as to whether plug connections are
recommended (I realize that continous wires are best,
but are plugs acceptably good considering the ease of
panel removal?), or should plug connectors be avoided
for the sake of reliability?  Are there any particular
plug types/makes that are especially recommended or
any that should be avoided?

Thanks!

Svein K. Johnsen - A225