Re: Plug-In Panel

Subject: Re: Plug-In Panel
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 10:55:36
I'm making my panel easily removable also.  I know it's debatable, but
I judged it preferable.  Working behind the panel on the bench still
beats doing so inside the plane with subpanels hanging, minus that one
forgotten tool.  The number of interconnects within the panel far
exceed those to the outside world and become unnecessary.  Where
avionics and gyros need to be supported at the rear, subpanels make
that complicated and heavier.  Also required is extra length in the
wiring, and one needs to carefully arrange it to minimize the chance
that the bundles will not chafe on something, with still no way to
verify.  Some panel real estate is sacrificed, and attachment screws
if painted will not remain fully so.

Anyway, my home-brew digital fuel quantity, pressure, pump breaker and
switch device is about 4"x5" and designed to be removed from the
front, just above the tunnel.  Thence, all airframe interconnects are
exposed (stud and ring connectors for the main bus).  For the eyeball
vent air, need yet to fashion a self-coupling arrangement.

Regards,
Fred F., A063