Strut/tie-bar fitting nightmare!!!

Subject: Strut/tie-bar fitting nightmare!!!
From: bizzarro@easynet.co.uk
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 07:15:05
Hi all

I have screwed up!!

Basically, the tie-bar/strut for the weight increase mod has to be
drilled with four holes, two on port end and two on the stbd. These
holes are all supposed to be 4.8mm and are designed to hold the
gusset plates to the tie-bar/strut and the (w34?)flanges to the end
of the tie-bar/strut. Unfortunately, I have drilled one of them with
a 5mm drill.

Should I

1 replace the bolt with a 5mm bolt
2 not worry about it as it isn't loose when the gusset plates are
attached
3 remove and replace the whole lot.

Also...

I found this assy. very difficult to do as Europa have suppied all
gusset plates with all the tie-bar locating holes pre-drilled. I
would have thought it would have been better to predrill only one
hole per plate so as to allow any inaccuracy in the drilling. You
see, I couldn't see a way of making sure that the drill entry and
exit points were totally parallel, which of course they were not. As
a result I had to elongate a hole on each of the lower plates by
about 0.5mm. to get the bolts through.

Anyway, even with those four holes drilled, how is one supposed to
drill through the other side of the gusset plate that goes through
the plywood support on the side that is directly under the filler
inlet to the tank?

Any ideas?

Cheers (very frustrated now) Ed

/////Eddie Hatcher Bill Lams Nick Crisp///////
///SouthEastLondonFlyingGroup/////////////////
www.crispsite.flyer.co.uk/newropa.htm