RE: Fuel tank installation

Subject: RE: Fuel tank installation
From: david.hillam@cwctv.net
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 23:00:27
Hi,

Another good tip is to drill the tank vertically upwards.  The swarf then
remains
around the hole and can be scooped out with a finger, rather than being
dispersed
thoughout the tank.

David
G-SHSH kit 113 (and still building)

David Hillam

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001 21:59:07 +0930 Nick Hammond
<nick.hammond@saabsystems.com.au>
wrote:

Dave,

Filling with fuel prior to installation used to be required for the Classic
tank. Later tanks have been treated with a "fluorination process" which, to
quote Europa News, "reduces" bulging and the consensus seems to be that
pre-conditioning by filling with fuel is not required. You still need to
take care to maximise the clearance between the front of the tank and the
pitch torque tube and aileron cross link and to fit the spacers as specified
in the manual. Other bits of advice gleaned from various sources:
o    Make sure you mount the tank high enough to clear the wing spars when
they are inserted -- the manual is a bit confusing on positioning of the
tank but the key thing is to make sure everything will still fit after you
have bonded it in. 3 inches clearance above the spar-pin bush centres is the
minimum.
o    Use a spade bit rather than a hole saw to open up the bosses in the
tanks for the fuel outlets, filler and vent -- a spade cutter produuces long
strips of swarf rather than "crumbs" which cling electrostatically to the
inside of the tank and eventually block the fuel filters.
o    Pressure and modest heat (e.g. from a lamp) over a period of a few days
can be used to fix bumps and other distortions in new tanks which prevent
them from being positioned properly for installation.
o    The layup for bonding the front of the tank can be done with the pitch
torque tube in place, but if I was doing it again, I would remove it for
better access.

Best regards,

Nick Hammond
XS Monowheel 418