Re: The Solid-State Gyro PDA

Subject: Re: The Solid-State Gyro PDA
From: Shaun Simpkins <shauns@hevanet.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 18:41:55
Call or e-mail them!  They respond quickly.  I did ask about whether the D10
was usable with an existing pitot, and they said yes - however.

They are considering using the aoa info from the probe to do some airspeed
corrections
which should make the unit more accurate when the a/c is at high alpha.

---From this you can deduce that:
    1.  The electrical cabling in their website picture is the pitot heater
    2.  The pitot output is pressure.  The probe design is based on work
done at NASA
         in the 70s. I'm not sure if two additional lines are run for AOA,
         or if raw airspeed is sensed from the sum of two ram port
pressures, and AOA from
         the difference.  In any case, the sensors are most likely in the
instrument.
         They're also using an oven to eliminate temperature sensitivity,
which would probably
         make sensors in the pitot impractical.

Shaun
A207