Re: Fitting up the pre moulded root fairings

Subject: Re: Fitting up the pre moulded root fairings
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 00:08:02
>Although I have fitted them (to Classic wings) I haven't yet bonded them
>on - however....
>      I decided to not incorporate the spacer, but will finish the inside
>bearing surface with ptfe tape - the root fairings (and the forward fitting)
>carry far more load than most people realise (transferring it to the
>fuselage sides).
>     I cut down the "wing" side of the fairings to provide an average of 1"
>wide bonding area, and cut down the fuselage bearing surfaces so that there
>was about 1/2" of flat bearing on the fuselage skin - a reasonable amount
>off both.

Provided the fairings are not too stiff, they will flex enough to avoid
straining the fuselage when the wings flex upwards under G loading. I made
them no thicker than 4 plies of BID and completely without any foam. The
result is nice flush fitting wing fillets and no gap for draggy air to leak
through from bottom to top. I also filled the fuselage sides to match the
surface of the fillets.

Graham