Re: Fitting up the pre moulded root fairings

Subject: Re: Fitting up the pre moulded root fairings
From: Miles McCallum <milesm@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 08:48:37
Although I have fitted them (to Classic wings) I haven't yet bonded them
on - however....
     I decided to not incorporate the spacer, but will finish the inside
bearing surface with ptfe tape - the root fairings (and the forward fitting)
carry far more load than most people realise (transferring it to the
fuselage sides).
    I cut down the "wing" side of the fairings to provide an average of 1"
wide bonding area, and cut down the fuselage bearing surfaces so that there
was about 1/2" of flat bearing on the fuselage skin - a reasonable amount
off both.
    Starting with the LE, they were then skinned pinned in place, drilling
each point whilst the fairing was held firmly in place against both the wing
and fuselage, and the skin pin adjusted to provide both contact and line, if
you see what I mean.
 - My original impression of the fairings was one of disappointment (here we
go again - another bit that's worth doing yourself, etc) but having trimmed
and fitted them, I'm extremely pleased with the results. (Phew...) They'll
be bonded in place when most of the filling and fairing has been done -
including fairing the layups that exit the spar cutout in the fuselage.
    The bottom TE section is a little short, so an extra bit will be made in
situ.
As a matter of interest, I also faired the flap roots - slightly larger
radius than the wing fairings, and with an extension that lies flush with
the fuselage skin, covering the flap drive tube slot. The layups were
deliberately "tapered" so that the outer edges (last 1/2") are quite
flexible, and they were heat adjusted whilst green to provide a good seal.
Quite a lot of work, but worth it, IMHO.

Miles