Re: Pulling on the Prop

Subject: Re: Pulling on the Prop
From: Nigel Charles <72016.3721@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 14:08:40
Message text written by Fred Fillinger
>It's not just the gear reduction, but the "mags" on the Rotax ain't
really mags, but CDI's like on your car which, unlike your car, need X
RPM on the internal alternator (and CDI's ungrounded - switch on) just
to achieve a spark.  <

X is several hundred rpm. As I have found with a partially discharged
battery slow cranking is not enough to achieve start. Hence I have fitted
an external power connector. Without this it can be very awkward if for
whatever reason you have a weak battery on a landaway. With the external
power connection getting a jump start from a car or other 12v source is
easy. The standard Piper connectors are very heavy. I used a 50A  3 pin
domestic power connector. The 3rd pin is useful to provide a sense
connection powering an external power light on the panel. The plug and lead
are of the premoulded variety (available from Sears). A pair of 50A croc
clips were crimped onto the ends. The rolled up lead is small enough to fit
in one of the under seat lockers. If anyone would like more details please
send me an e-mail.

Nigel Charles