Re: Pulling on the Prop

Subject: Re: Pulling on the Prop
From: bizzarro@easynet.co.uk
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 14:22:14
What were the reason given for not doing so. I would be very surprised if
pulling the A/C forwards could cause any damage as that is exactly what
the prop does when it is spinning. I would hope that it does this with
more force than you could ever manage to achieve by hand. As no propeller
I have ever known has been totally balanced, I would be supprised if you
could exert forces greater than that of the spinning prop. However, it
may be a problem if you push the plane backwards on the prop as this is
probably not the intended direction of load for the bearing (perhaps).

Ed

Quoting Garry Stout <gstout@us.ibm.com>:

> I was sitting on the loo this morning, reading my favorite
> aviation
> magazine when I read a warning about "never maneuvering an
> airplane around
> on the ground by pulling or pushing on the prop".  For the past 2
> 1/2 years
> that's how I've been moving my Europa around, and that's how I see
> other
> Europa owners moving theirs around too.  Actually, I don't have
> any ideas
> how I would move the plane around if I couldn't use the prop.
> Does anyone
> know why we're not supposed to do this?  What kind of damage could
> arise?
> Are Rotax powered Europas exempt from this warning because the
> prop is
> attached to a gear reduction box instead of directly to the engine
> crankshaft?
>
> Regards,
> Garry
> N4220S
> (813) 878-3929
> FAX (813) 878-5651, Internet ID Garrys@att.com
>
> The Europa List is supported by Aviators Network UK -
> info@avnet.co.uk

/////Eddie Hatcher Bill Lams Nick Crisp///////
///SouthEastLondonFlyingGroup/////////////////
www.crispsite.flyer.co.uk/newropa.htm

This message was sent by Easymail - http://www.easynet.co.uk/