Fitting the Wing fairings

Subject: Fitting the Wing fairings
From: Nigel Charles <72016.3721@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 22:33:45
Message text written by "Paul McAllister"
>I was thinking of bonding on the wing fairings and I was seeking the
opinion
of others who have gone before me.  The manual suggests that you use a
piece
of cardboard 2mm thick as a spacer between the fairing and the fuselage.
<

I used cardboard of about this thickness before it was mentioned in the
manual. It all depends on how much preparation has been done. In my case
the fuselage had been filled and sanded (very important) but not painted
and it worked out perfect assuming a rubber trim strip was fitted. There is
a little flex in the fairing (mine were made using the fuselage as a mould
rather than the premoulded variety) so that a slight tolerance is
acceptable. I would go ahead with the suggestion. If it is good then don't
fit a rubber trim strip. If it is a little slack then a trim strip provides
a neat finish. Wicks sell a suitable trim strip which has a width of about
0.5" behind the fairing (about 1mm thickness) with a small lip which fits
on the fairing edge. Small triangular slots need to be cut on the backing
side in areas of significant curvature.

Nigel Charles