Re: Fitting the Wing fairings

Subject: Re: Fitting the Wing fairings
From: erichdtrombley@juno.com
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 08:30:39
> I was thinking of bonding on the wing fairings and I was seeking the
> opinion
> of others who have gone before me.  The manual suggests that you use
> a piece
> of cardboard 2mm thick as a spacer between the fairing and the
> fuselage.

Hi Paul,

I asked this very question a few months back and got various replies.  I
have a Classic and therefore do not have the pre-molded fairings although
this does not change the final outcome of having the 2mm gap.  What I did
was to first fill the sides of the fuselage prior to laying up the
fairings.  This is very important as the sides of the fuselage are not
perfectly true and a few low spots (depressions) were present on my kit.
With this completed I then proceeded as outlined in the manual and used
2mm card taped to the fuselage with clear packing tape.  So far so good.
With the additional 2 ply layup on the backside of the fairings (not sure
if this is required with the premolded fairings or not), primer and paint
I believe the gap will be just about right when the plane is completed.
I bead of silicone will then finish it off.  Anyway that's the plan.
Good luck.

Erich Trombley
A028
Las Vegas, NV