Re: sticky bits

Subject: Re: sticky bits
From: Rowland & Wilma Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 22:58:05

>  I have found a magic substance called De-Solv-it

>This stuff is very safe, but "may be harmful if swallowed" it does not melt
>plastic pots.

I recently had to remove some goo left by double-sided tape used to
hold on a piece of peel-ply (because of poor alignment of the edges
of tape and peel-ply), and considered using De-Solv-It to help.
However, as there was blue foam very close to the work area, I
checked it on a piece of scrap first. It didn't melt it away like
acetone or petrol would, but I felt that after a few minutes it
seemed to have softened the surface of the foam enough that I was
wary of using it. There also seemed to be no easy way to dry the foam
out again.

I did it the hard way, peeling the goo off with cellulose tape dabbed
against it repeatedly, followed by mechanical abrasion.

De-Solv-It (available in UK at B&Q) is probably fine to use where
there is no chance of it getting to blue foam, but I would keep it
away from foam with the same care as for other solvents.

regards

Rowland