Re: Unreliable Terra TX760 transceivers.

Subject: Re: Unreliable Terra TX760 transceivers.
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 00:18:08
>Not necessarily. I have a Terra and for the first year used the standard
>half wave dipole in the fin with the same sort of problems that Alan suffers.
>I then replaced it with a Bob Archer antenna in the centre fuselage. The
>performance is only marginally better.
>What is so frustrating is that there are occasions when I can actually get
>better reception than other aircraft that I am in formation with (this
>happened twice on the return trip from Croatia). However I often have
>trouble making communication when the aircraft I am in formation with has
>no trouble at all.
>
>Dave Watts G-BXDY

I noticed similar variation on the otherwise quite wonderful Croatia trip.
(thanks to the Europa Flyers club and our departed friend Tom Justic.)
I did conclude that on at least one aircraft with a Terra it was quite
possibly caused by poor condition of the transmit relay contacts. Or maybe
even poor quality relays. Another possible cause of intermittent bad
performance could be inaccurate frequency of the transmit crystals at some
frequencies. Quality again perhaps?

Graham