Re: Unreliable Terra TX760 transceivers.

Subject: Re: Unreliable Terra TX760 transceivers.
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 19:35:24

>Mr. Stewart
>Unfortunately without an adequate ground plane the 760 will not work, hence
>your "aircraft orientation" symptoms, this is due to loss of omni due to
>lack of a ground plane.

IMHO this is not true. The antenna in the Europa is a half wave dipole, (or
that's what it's supposed to be) These do not require a ground plane and
are in fact better than the usual quarter wave whips fitted to stock
airplanes.  The radiated pattern is flatter, so more signal goes in the
intended direction instead of out into space.

There may be a problem with your antenna, not trimmed to resonate properly
perhaps, or it could be that the rudder pushrod and other metalwork near
the bottom end of the dipole is spoiling the SWR.

Bob Archer makes a very good antenna which fits inside the fuselage and I
have heard good reports of its performance.

Graham