Re: Short Tri-gear legs

Subject: Re: Short Tri-gear legs
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 00:33:52
The plot thickens....

If you're needing as much as another 1-1/2", and elect to just accept
increased nose up while on the ground, there's another aspect that may
be relevant.  Most S/E tri-gears sit noticeably nose up, and pix of
Europas seem to be approx. level. Ostensibly OK.  But on landing, with
the nose gear hanging down further, the thing will need to be easy to
land nose well up or you wheelbarrow.

In my AA-5, that sits well nose up, it's not quite so.  Just two extra
knots sets up a condition where the difference between ballooning and
properly lifting the nose in the flare is few micrograms of elevator
pressure (cause is a sharp-stalling, flat-bottom fuselage, the
designers say).  Thus many accidents and broken nose gears in this
type.  I just wax her often enough to be nice to me, lacking
aeronautical skills otherwise.

Perhaps others can comment on the good nose-high landing manners of
the type.

Regards,
Fred F., A063