Flying; Ingress of muck through wheel well.

Subject: Flying; Ingress of muck through wheel well.
From: Alan Stewart <alan.stewart@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 17:54:28

It's winter, it's cold, it's overcast again, and it's been raining in the
driest
part of the country for the last five months !

All the grass airstrips in my area including my own, are sodden and barely
useable.

....... and every time I take off, my newly polished windscreen and panel
are
smeared with a coating of fresh mud entering the cockpit via the wheel well.

It gains access through the monowheel undercarriage retract lever.

During the summer, dried grass and mud accumulates around the fuel
tank selector.

There must be an answer to this seamingly trivial, yet highly irritating
problem...

Any suggestions, anyone ?

Alan

On the subject of the 'Foot and Mouth' NOTAMS, could it be that in the
absence
of antiseptic baths across every local farmstrip, there is some danger of
contamination on the wheels of aircraft flying inter-county ? Perhaps that
is the
primary fear.