Re: Storing Decanted Hardener

Subject: Re: Storing Decanted Hardener
From: Rowland & Wilma Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 21:40:32

>If you leave the hardener in a polyethylene container for any length of
>time it will sweat through.

I thought the 2 containers on my resin pump (Michael Engineering
brand) were polyethylene (often contracted in everyday speech to
"polythene"), but now you're giving me cause to wonder. The mixing
cups supplied by Europa appear to be polypropylene which must be OK,
but I have found by empirical means that polystyrene and other
containers will not contain resin/hardener.

>  It seems that polyethylene is the only option,
>otherwise metal tins or glass is best. It is very hard to find polyethylene
>food storage containers. The market is basically saturated with the cheaper
>polyethylene.
>Beware anything else except glass/metal for decanting, unless you can be
>assured it is poly ethylene.

Now I'm really confused. You seem to be saying "don't use
polyethylene, use polyethylene instead" - or am I missing something?

>  I am the expert on why floating foam lids in resin
>pumps DONT work if anyone else wants to give that a try too.

Right - I want to hear what I've done wrong as I've recently put
floating lids on both the hardener and resin containers of my resin
pump. My lids were constructed from white foam (ie polystyrene) but
to prevent their dissolution into the liquid they were covered in
carefully-applied polyethylene (yes that stuff again) sheet with no
joints below the waterline.

No doubt there are others who might benefit from hearing this answer too.

regards

Rowland