Storing Decanted Hardener

Subject: Storing Decanted Hardener
From: Tony Renshaw <renshaw@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 10:38:40
If you leave the hardener in a polyethylene container for any length of
time it will sweat through. I bought some "concertina walled" food storage
containers so that I could keep the volume of air above the hardener to a
minimum but found this weeping, like condensation, on the outside of them.
Suffice to say I chucked yet another load of hardener, in case the plastic
had introduced impurities. It seems that polyethylene is the only option,
otherwise metal tins or glass is best. It is very hard to find polyethylene
food storage containers. The market is basically saturated with the cheaper
polyethylene.
Beware anything else except glass/metal for decanting, unless you can be
assured it is poly ethylene.
Reg
Tony Renshaw
P.S. My expertise comes from losing so many loads of hardener trying to
perfect the best option. I am the expert on why floating foam lids in resin
pumps DONT work if anyone else wants to give that a try too.

>Andrew, here's what we use and it works a treat.  Either get from somebody or
>drink your self to get some 1/2 and 1 liter soda bottles.  Then, go to
Wal-Mart or
>other store of that type and find the screw on pop-tops like the ones on a
syrup
>bottle.  Clean out the inside of the bottle well, and you're set.  We use
the 1/2
>liter for hardener and 1 liter for resin.  It makes it VERY easy to
dispense very
>small, accurate amounts with our digital scale.  Keep a paper towel handy
to wipe
>up drips.
>
>The hardner does harden the plastic bottle over time, leading to leaks,
but we
>just replace it every month or two.  We've found no affect on the cured
mixture
>from the plastic.   It can't be any worse than those resin pumps with the
plastic
>lines. We keep a bit of each batch leftover and give it the "scratch
test", and
>we've always had excellent results, even if the workshop is in the mid
50's (F).
>We use heatlamps to locally heat the layups rather than trying to keep the
entire
>basement warm, but the leftover resin can be sitting on the bench away
---From any of
>the heat.
>
>Chris Beck
>A159
>
>Andrew Sarangan wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I find that dispensing the resin and hardner directly from the container
to be
>> quite awkward. Instead, I would like to use a syringe. However I am not
sure
>> that the plastic syringes found at hardware stores will not react with the
>> resin and contaminate it. Any ideas? Should I use glass syringes?
>>
>> Any harm in cleaning the syringe with acetone and re-using it? I have seen
>> certain plastics dissolve in acetone.
>>
>> CFII
>> Europa #A178

Reg