Re: Getting "on the step"

Subject: Re: Getting "on the step"
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 23:14:44
You seem to be describing just normal behavior, Tony.  Different
meteorology day-to-day, effects of widespread updraft-downdrafts,
etc.  Although mythical things have no precise definition,
"on-the-step" I understand (from the lore) is two different angles of
attack in level flight, one high drag the other low, but identical
lift.  To get there, you must dive down to it and level out.  The
problem, though, is that if the higher A of A produces the same lift,
raise the nose and you won't climb -- just go back down off the step I
guess.  Setting aside the flyability issue, an altitude-holding
autopilot wouldn't work at all, and hence the opinion of the S-Tec
autopilot people in my original post I found rather relevant.

What I will bet on is that, on a dead calm day, you can't fly the
aircraft level at any other than one A of A at a given power setting.
It may indeed be be faster than yesterday (or less fuel burn at same
TAS), if that day was turbulent, more humid, or in higher pressure.
If you can, let me know.  Dr. James Randi (randi.org) still has his
standing offer of a million bucks for any scientifically demonstrated,
paranormal phenomenon!

Regards,
Fred F., A063