RE: Getting "on the step"

Subject: RE: Getting "on the step"
From: Peter van Schoonhoven <pvans@pacifier.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 17:38:08
Boy, I for one am beginning to sense that it is getting pretty deep around
here with all this power/performance/on the step stuff.  I really like this
email bulletin board as it relates to building and flying Europas, but some
of this has gotten out of hand.

Now we are supposed to believe that you can get more horsepower out of fuel
with a higher octane rating? Oh Please!  Octane only relates to the
anti-detonation characteristics of the fuel, not the amount of power it can
make. Unless you can increase the compression ratio when you go to the
higher octane fuel you will get the same power output. You either have
enough octane to prevent detonation or you don't, and putting a higher
octane fuel in than you need will provide no additional benefit, except
make the oil companies richer.

From: owner-europa@aztec.houxou.com