Re: Logbook Question

Subject: Re: Logbook Question
From: MJKTuck@cs.com
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 21:15:07
I started my project in the UK under the PFA then moved out here to Wichita
with my job. I visited the local FAA office and asked then what I needed to
give them in terms of paperwork and they asked if I finished it yet. I said
no, and they said basically don't bother us until you have - then we'll
inspect it.

I followed the advice in a little book which tells you how to certify a
homebuilt (in the US) and that said a simple log of what you did - with dates
is sufficient - together with meeting the FAA regs, etc. Also you should
consider asking an EAA tech councilor to inspect parts before closeup
(although this isn't mandatory). A photographic record is also very helpful
to show at final inspection as you can sit down and help answer any questions
they might have. Remember the Europa manual is very high quality compared to
other manufacturers so notes in the manual would be acceptable.

Anyhow, by the time I had finished a new person had started at the local
office and when I went in to say 'OK I'm finished' they were surprised they
had no idea I was building it, wanted to know who my DAR was for inspections
during the build etc - which kind of made me gulp. They also took one look at
my PFA builders log I had been using and said words to the effect 'what the
heck is this?' They made me write all the entries out again in a 'proper FAA
logbook' along with insisting on separate engine logbook and propeller
logbook (which my little book said was not required for homebuilts.

At the end of the day though they led me through the final processes of
inspection out at the hanger and we spent around 2 hours (in 90 deg plus
temps) doing that. She was most  interested in the way the rudder cables
seemed 'loose' and rattled around the bottom of the fuselage when no-one was
sitting in it. I had to get in and show how they tautened when you rest your
feet on the pedals.

The only question she had was who was going to do the maintenance on it and I
said I was. No you can't, you're not authorized. But I've built it - I know
every nut/bolt and flox joint. No sorry not after I give you its ticket - not
without a repairmans certificate. But she then explained that I could get one
of those by going back to the FAA office and filling in the paperwork - and
that is basically all there was to it although I was prepared (with the photo
album) to answer questions of me if they really wanted to.

In short, get with your FAA office first and make sure you understand exactly
what they are going to be expecting - because the process seems to differ and
some expectations are more than others - and get it in writing if necessary.
As long as you meet the requirements for placarding etc. as laid out in the
book I mentioned you should be OK.

Its worth it!!!

Regards
Martin Tuck