Re: WARNING * Oil line Failures

Subject: Re: WARNING * Oil line Failures
From: Miles McCallum <milesm@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 08:54:42

David Cripps wrote:

> Am I missing something here in all this discussion?  If there is a problem
> with wrapping the insulation round the exhaust pipes to keep them from
> overheating the oil pipes,  why not wrap the insulation around the oil pipes
> instead?
>
> Sorry if this is a daft idea, but I'm puzzled?!

Methinks a case of misapplied solutions: the reason racers wrap ex pipes is to
keep the
gas temperature up for reasons of performance ( a stronger reflected negative
pulse
in 2
stroke exhausts can mean more power) - the penalty is faster deterioration of
the
bits
but they don't really care how long they last, as long as it's to the end of the
race.

The solutions are:
> use a hose that can withstand the temperature
> route it as far from the hot bits as possible
> enclose it in an insulating sleave
- and if you are still not happy, fix a piece of aluminised heat barrier to
reflect
the
heat.