Grand Rapids EIS problem !

Subject: Grand Rapids EIS problem !
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 20:00:33
 Hi all,

Well, we have reached yet another milestone in our Europa project. We ran our
engine
for the first time. It was after three years sitting in the garage (it is
not a new unit but S/H - ex G-YURO).  I am pleased to say the engine started
on the first crank and runs really well. It is an absolute dream to start,
picking
up on the first try every time.

Apart from some coolant leaking from hoses ( we had not tightened them properly)
everything enginewise seemed to be good.

Unfortunately we have hit a problem with our Grand Rapids EIS which we have been
unable to solve. Both the CHT and EGT displays dont seem to work. We get a
constant
reading of approximately 25C or 80F (depending on which is selected Cor
F) and this does not change regardless of the temperature of the probes.

We have checked for continuity of wiring up to the point of the D connector
which
enters the unit at the back and all seems to be OK. The unit is properly earthed
with relation to the engine, and the polarity of the wires are correct.

The rest of the temps and pressures (and engine RPM) are all giving correct
readings
including the auxilliary input which is being used with a fuel pressure
sender (this works very well indeed and I am very pleased with this).

Has anyone else had a similar problem.

Carl Pattinson