Re: Goods from the USA

Subject: Re: Goods from the USA
From: Paul & Liz Atkinson <paulliz@cix.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 21:45:40
In article <029401c03476$1bca4540$88df883e@crixbinfield>,
john@crixbinfield.freeserve.co.uk (John Cliff) wrote:

> Forwarded from the bounce bin.  Message is from
> "Alan R Haynes" <alan@haynes20.screaming.net>

> Dear All,
>     Wonder if anyone coult take the trouble to comment on the
following:

> As a novice UK builder I placed a relatively modest order with
Aircraft
> > Spruce for some a/c building materials
>
> Total Value of order - $67.90
>
> Freight charge by the supplier $43
>
> Delivery via UPS - additional charge 28.95 which consisted of:
> 16.48 taxes
> 2.47 duties
> 10 UPS admin fee.
>

> I expected to pay roughly  $ for .
>
> Are the above charges out of the ordinary?
>
> Any advice re future ordering of goods from abroad would be
appreciated.

> Alan Haynes  (UK - Kit no. 467)

Alan
You could try asking the supplier to send by a cheaper slower method.
Won't work with Spruce though. The cheapest way is to have someone bring
the stuff back for you. If you get it sent out of state to another US
address you wont be bothered with state taxes,  and freight charges are
much less. Whoever does it will be charged VAT at customs. Sometimes
they are generous and reduce it according to the Gift allowance, but
they don't have to, if the value is more than the allowance.

Now that the pound is getting weaker, by the time you add on freight
charges and VAT you save little, if anything unless it is carried by
yourself or a friend.

Paul