Re: spinner

Subject: Re: spinner
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 18:48:21
>One of my first impressions of the Europa, way back in the earliest days
>when G-YURO was the only one in existence, was that when the engine was
>started, the spinner didn't spin, it wobbled. Now that I'm trying to fit
>the spinner I can see why.

Hi Graeme,
I had the same problem with #27. We made a steel mould in a big borrowed
lathe, shaped to enhance stiffness, (ie a double cone) and press moulded a
new spinner backplate in carbon fibre, then jig drilled the holes. At least
the back of the spinner is now perfectly true. The front isn't quite round
so its not perfect.

It's also important to balance the spinner and prop, preferably
dynamically. The difference in quietness ( and probably wear and tear) can
be outstanding.
I can still make these backplates .

Graham