Re: Routing rudder cables

Subject: Re: Routing rudder cables
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 01:39:32
Since you say "cable tensioners," note that they will also adjust
pedal position fore/aft.  Mostly aft, since you can't remove much
spring tension else they won't work too well.  If that's what you want
also, that's fine.   But, if you want to just balance the spring
tension (if not right, the pedals won't line up unless you fitted the
cable lengths just perfect), you need only adjust the tension at a
forward attach point.  I substituted the aluminum CS30 extension for a
steel version, bent into an L-shape.  The spring hooks into a hole
drilled into the resulting tang.  Bend the tang to balance the
springs.  A bit less costly and lighter than Mil-Spec turnbuckles.

The XS may not have the CS30 extension due to increased footwell
depth, and it may lack the ability to adjust rudder centering back in
the tail, but the above general observation may still apply.

Also, the supplied springs were kind of wimpy.  A trip to a
well-stocked hardware store solved that.

Regards
Fred F.
A063, N3EU